A vacancy has arisen for a Fixed Term Contract of 6 months, full-time, temporary (with capacity to turn permanent for the right candidate) Payroll and Benefits Manager to work at our manufacturing base in Send, Woking and would suit an experienced payroll manager or ambitious supervisor seeking their next step.
Comprising of a team of six, the Accounts Department is a friendly but hard working modern environment. Working to the Financial Director, the Payroll and Benefits Manager is responsible for all aspects of the UK employee payroll, currently 120 staff. This includes Real Time Information to HMRC, Auto Enrolment Pension management, Production bonus, overtime and commission calculations etc. Plus Company credit card management, cash expenses/petty cash, Company cars/van fleet management. A flexible, hands-on approach is required in order to cover this variety of tasks when necessary.
We have recently signed onto ADP as our payroll system provider (transitioning away from Opera) and over the next 3 months will be initiating the build phase/ parallel run / go live stages. This is crucial for us and will require the successful candidate to have sound user experience with ADP. Equally, any payroll systems implementation experience will be highly desirable in this case.
- To prepare the monthly payroll for submission to the bank including the calculation of Overtime, Production bonus and Sales Commission payments as well as any deductions for unpaid absences etc.
- Update and send Real Time Information to HMRC
- Responsibility for the time and attendance system (Sprint) used by staff, ensuring all gaps
in recorded time are accounted for correctly
- Complete EDI for revised PAYE Codes
- To reconcile all month end reports to the amount paid via BACS to the bank
- Preparation and posting of the payroll journal by department into the nominal ledger and
reconciliation of the net pay control account
- Perform the payroll year end and produce P60’s and P11d’s for the employees and the
submission to HMRC
- Liaise with our external Pensions Administrator and reconcile payments
- To assist all staff and management with any payroll, pension, holiday, tax queries etc
- To assist Senior Management with the preparation of information and financial reports for budget, salary review and bonus purposes as required
- Proactively keeping up to date with new payroll legislation and compliance
- To maintain clear and concise payroll procedures
- Ensure the Company GDPR policies are followed at all times to protect payroll operations, payroll records and maintain a high level of employee confidentiality
- Calculate Statutory Payments: SMP, SAP, SPP, SSP etc.
- Pension Reporting to Aviva (current pension provider)
- To administer & maintain PMI (currently BUPA), Death in Service, Cycle to Work scheme, and Childcare Voucher Schemes
- Annually go out to tender to ensure current benefit providers remain fit for purpose
- To liaise with the Pensions Administrator regarding Auto Enrolment of employees
- Point of contact with the Company Insurance provider; to oversee the renewal process and the processing of any claims
- Administration of the Company car and van fleet including insurance and fuel card responsibilities
- Company credit card management
- To check, process and reconcile multi-currency staff and petty cash expenses on the ERP system, ensuring the correct coding and treatment of VAT
- To reconcile the Company’s Staff Purchases and Staff Advances balance sheet accounts in accordance with Company and HMRC rules
- Headcount and employee costs
- Liaise with HR Manager and Recruitment Manager for sickness, holiday, leavers and new
staff information where payroll up/date and/or calculations are required
- Researching compensation and benefits policies and plans
- Ensuring compensation and benefits plans are cost-effective and competitive
- Monitoring and researching compensation and benefits trends
- Comparing benefits and compensation plans, job classifications, and salaries through data
and cost analyses
- Designing reports and recommendations based on research and analysis for senior
- Any other ad hoc tasks as required
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Sound HR experience — The Payroll and Benefits Manager will work closely and liaise with the HR and Recruitment Managers. Cross training between roles will be necessary to cover holiday absences.
- A good level of payroll experience, possibly in a standalone Payroll position is require
- Strong knowledge of current payroll legislation
- High attention to detail and accuracy of information
- Ability to keep good financial records and to prepare routine financial reports
- Be a confident communicator, able to create effective working relationships at all levels, both internally and externally
- Good written and oral communication skills who is experienced in handling confidential information.
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong Excel skills, including advanced formula skills and data manipulation
- Knowledge of personnel procedures and good working practice would be an advantage as would knowledge of a menu driven accounts package
- Level 5 and above CIPP qualified would be advantageous
- Experience with implementing a payroll system would be highly advantageous
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this position, please complete the application form and send it along with a cover letter to: